Once our Kermans staff has helped you select the right carpet, our professional installers will make sure it is properly installed in a timely manner. Professional installation can make a huge difference in how long your carpet investment wears and lasts. Many of Kermans installers have been working with us for 15 years or more and their experience will make the difference in your new floor.
Preparing for carpet installation.
The installation of your carpet is critical to its durability, performance and appearance in your home. Professional installers have years of experience and the right tools to do the job well. What can you expect when your carpet is installed?
What to know and do before installation
- Determine who is responsible for moving furniture and other objects from the area to be carpeted. Installers can do this but will charge an additional fee.
- Review your moldings and baseboards–they may need to be removed for installation and if so, any breakage or paint retouching will be your responsibility after installation. Our installers try to be very careful, but scratches and scrapes to painted surfaces can’t always be avoided.
- Be sure to move all breakables, computers and electronics before your installation.
What to know and do during installation
Be prepared to be at home the day of installation and be available in case the installation crew has questions. Your presence will insure that the correct carpet is installed in the right areas. But plan to stay out of the way, your installers will be using a variety of tools and equipment and you do not want any children or pets underfoot. We also recommend that you walk thru your newly carpeted areas with the chief installer to ask questions and be aware of any final details.
What to know and do after installation
Some of the chemicals used in the construction of carpet, as well as the adhesives or hot melt seaming tapes, can have an odor for as long as 48 to 72 hours after installation. So be prepared to provide the room with adequate ventilation. And get out the vacuum! Shedding is a natural part of a new carpet. Frequent vacuuming for the first few days should remove any loose fibers from the carpet’s surface.
It is not unusual for carpet seams to be visible for a few days following installation. The seams will “walk down”, or disappear, as you walk on the carpeting. Depending on the type of carpet you select, it may have a somewhat crushed appearance once installed. This is normal, and is a result of the carpet having been rolled tightly for shipping. Humidity will make the carpet “bloom”. If your carpet is installed during the winter months when humidity levels are lower, you may find that running a humidifier will help.
On rare occasions, our installers will discover an existing problem such as a plumbing leak or subfloor problem when your old flooring is removed. Should this happen, our installers will notify you immediately. Any unforeseen repairs or prep work will result in additional charges. Kermans will provide you with a quote prior to the work being done. If the problem is electrical or plumbing-related, we will recommend that you contact the service of your choice to correct the problem.
Your Kermans carpet consultant is available from start to finish–from carpet selection thru installation. Before you visit our showroom, we’d like to suggest a few questions to consider.
- Disconnect and remove all computers and electronic equipment from rooms where flooring is to be installed.
- Remove all breakable items from areas where flooring is to be installed, and place the items in a safe location.
- Remove all items from tabletops, desktops, etc.
- Empty and store the contents of bookshelves, entertainment centers, armoires, etc.
- Clear the floor areas of closets where flooring is to be installed. We request that a space approximately three (3) feet above the floor be cleared so our installers have more room to move.